Innocent Ujah Idibia is a Nigerian Singer-songwriter, recording producer and entrepreneur. Popularly known as 2face Idibia, which he changed to 2Baba in July 2014. 2Baba is one of the most successful and decorated Afro pop artists in Africa with over 70 awards to his name. Forbes listed him as one of the 40 most powerful celebrities in Africa.
Innocent Idibia was born on September 18, 1975 in Jos, Nigeria. He is from the Idoma tribe in the Southern part of Benue, Nigeria. 2Face attended Mount Saint Gabriel’s secondary school, Makurdi, Benue State. He subsequently moved to the Institute of Management and Technology, Enugu (IMT) for his preliminary National Diploma in Business Administration and Management. Later on, 2Baba left to pursue his career in Music.
2 Face Personal Life
2face Idibia tied the knot with Annie Idibia in 2012 and they have two daughters. Altogether, he has seven children born to him by three women. The names of his children are Isabel, Nino, Zion, Justin, Rose, Innocent and Olivia.
2Face Idibia Early Musical Career
2Face started his musical career while he was at IMT. During this time, he performed at shows and parties organised in the school and across the institutions within the metropolis. i.e Univeristy of Nigeria and Enugu State University of Science Technology.
In 1996, while in school, 2Baba started composing jingles at the GB Fanclub at Enugu State Broadcasting Services (ESBS). Also, that year, he adopted the stage name 2face (Tu face) as a way to separate his personal life from his business life.
Plantashun Boiz was formed by 2face, Black face (Ahmedu Augustine Obiabo) and Faze (Chibuzor Orji) in 2000. The trio formed the Plantashun boiz and successfully released two albums – Body & Soul (2000) and Sold Out (2003) under the Dove Records. Alas, the Plantashun Boiz disbanded in 2004, each pursuing a solo career. They came back in 2007 to record their third and final album, Plan B.
See Also: Biography and business life of D’banj.
2face has released six albums – Face 2 Face, Grass to Grace, The Unstoppable, The Unstoppable International Edition, Away and Beyond, and The Ascension.
Face 2 Face (2Baba Debut Studio Album)
Innocent Idibia released his debut studio album face to face on May 15, 2004, the same year the Plantashun Boiz disbanded. The album established 2face as a viable solo artist, and it became a major hit with millions of copies sold. It was produced by Segun Ogungbe under the Kennis Music Record Label. Face 2 face album’s success can largely be accrued to the lead track ‘African Queen’. The album has 11 songs and they are: Nfana Ibanga (No Problem), Ole (Thief) ft Freestyle, Right Here, Holy (skit), U no holy Pass, African Queen, Police (skit) Keep on Rocking ft Natives & Lil Seal, Thank You Lord, and Odi Ya ft Blackface.
The first four tracks were remixed and released on Jan 27, 2006 into the South African Edition with a single addition of ‘Forgive and Forget’.
This song is a guitar ballard with a west African folk music and hip-hop elements. African Queen has remained a hit and till today, a lot of people still request for the song on radio shows and TV Programs. Annie Macaulay made a cameo appearance in the African Queen Music video that has over 10 million views on You Tube. The song was used in the soundtrack for the film ‘Phat Girlz‘, which was released internationally.
Grass to Grace
In 2006, Grass to Grace – 2Baba second solo album was released. The album has three singles and 10 other songs on the list. The singles include No Shaking, See me son and 4 Instance. It was produced by Kenny Ogungbe and released under the Kennis Music Record Label.
In 2008, The Unstoppable, the third studio album was recorded and released under the Hypertek Entertainment. It has one single: Enter the Place and featured Sound Sultan. The executive producers are Mic Tunes, J Sleek, Jiggy Jegg, and Spanky with a track produced by R.Kelly.
The Unstoppable International Edition
Subsequently, the International Edition of the The Unstoppable was released on June 27, 2010 with some additional tracks. It is regarded as 2face fourth album and it has just two singles – Implication and Only Me. This album was also released under the Hypertek Entertainment Record Label with a lot of air-plays on radio and various hotspots in Nigeria.
This edition won the Album of the Year and the Best R&b /Pop Album at the Headies, 2011. It also won two other awards at the Sound City Music Video Awards, 2010.
Away and Beyond
2Face released Away and Beyond on April 30, 2012 through the Hypertek Entertainment, with My Rainbow as the album lead single.
Sixth Studio Albums
2Face released his sixth studio album on July 21, 2014. It was released by Hypertek Digital and 960 Music Group. As expected, it is a follow up of the previous album, Away and Beyond (2012). The guest featured in the album include Vector, Dammy Krane, Sir Victor Uwaifo, Iceberg Slim, Kim Almarcha, Rock Steady, Bridget Kelly, Montano, Fally Ipupa and Shwurwayne Winchester.
The executive Producers are Efe Omorogve, Eric Idiahi with Berti, Boyi Beats, Dezay, Fabio Litto, etc as the Producers. It has four singles – Ife Dinma (2013), Let Somebody Love You (2014), Go (2014) and Diaspora Woman (2014). The album debuted on the Billboard World Album chart at Number 12, thereby making 2face the first Nigerian Artist to achieve this feat.
Here is a list of few songs on the track list from his six albums.
- Enter the place (Ft Sound Sultan)
- Take it back (Ft Cartier)
- Cant do without you ( Ft Melissa Briggs)
- Free (Ft Ehi Idibia)
- Excuse Me Sister
- Power of Naija (Ft Cobhams & Omawunmi)
- Rain Drops
- Steady Steady
- Dance in the Rain
- Dance Floor (Ft Sarkodie & Cabo Snoop)
- Omo T’osan
- Spell Bound
- Freedom is Life
- Chemical Reaction
- Kiss Of Life
- Close To Where You Are
- Spiritual Healing
- Not A Surpises
- Vote Not Fight
- Holy Holy
- Mr Senator
- True Love
- Gaga shuffle
- Diaspora Woman (Ft Fally Ipupa)
Hypertek Digital was founded by 2face Idibia in 2006. It is a record label established after Idibia’s departure from Kennis Music. Hypertek was founded in 2006 and today, it is home to recording Artists like Victor Uwaifo, Dammy Krane and Rock Steady. It is also a subsidiary of 960 Music Group.
960 Music Group
In 2013, the 960 Music Group was co-founded by Efe Omorogbe and funded by Rio Partners. It is the first Music Group in Nigeria to acquire different music labels and converge them together, under an umbrella. 960 Music is seen as a ‘a new school’ evolution of African Music. It is an artist management firm that focuses on providing diverse musical entertainment (both audio & visual) across Nigeria. The key People in the Music Group are Mark Red guard, Piriye Isokrari and Innocent Idibia.
Hypertek Digital is one of the independent record labels under the 960 Music alongside Aristokrat Records and Ultima Productions. Consequently, in 2013, 960 Music acquired a 40% stake in the Hypertek records. That same year, 2Baba officially announced the end of Hypertek Entertainment and launched a new imprint, Hypertek Digital still under the 960 Music. In February 2015, the group released a compilation album by the MTN’s Project Fame West Africa Finalists.
2Face Net Worth
According to Nigerianfinder.com, 2Baba’s net worth is estimated at $20 Million. He is a savvy business man who is into real estate and acquires property-on-the-go. He earns his wealth from his club – Rumour Night club and from sales of his album and book, Very Good Bad Guy. Also, his shows, and endorsement deals are not left out.
FORTYfied All-Star Tribute Concert
In commemoration of his 40th birthday anniversary and influence in the Nigerian Music Industry, 2face organised a tribute concert stylized as #Fortyfied. The event was held at the Eko Hotel and Suites Convention Centre, Lagos on September 20, 2015. It was hosted and sponsored by Basketmouth and Star Lager Beer respectively. The concert was attended by important dignitaries. Some of the Musicians that performed at the tribute concert are Wizkid, Burna Boy, Timaya, D’Banj, Sound Sultan, Patoranking, Vector tha Viper, Wandecoal and Seyi Shay.
Philanthrophy And Endorsement Deals
For his love for charitable activities, 2Baba established 2Face Idibia Reach-Out Foundation, with the aim to serve humanity.
In addition, 2Baba has signed endorsement deals with some companies like Guinness, Nigerian Breweries, Airtel etc.
In 2009, he became the Youth Ambassador for Peace Summit. Also, that same year, he was awarded a Youth Merit Award, by the National Youth Council of Nigeria for his contribution towards youth development in Nigeria.
2009, 2face was appointed as a brand ambassador by National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control. He then released a song Man Unkind to raise awareness on the menace of fake and sub-standard food and drug products in Nigeria.
2019, he was officially announced as the Brand Ambassador for Pazino Homes & Garden.
2Baba has received numerous awards.
From 2002 – 2007
- Best Male Vocalist, Affinity Awards, 2002
- Best Video, A. M.E.N Awards, 2004
- Best Male Vocalist, A.M.E.N Awards, 2004
- Song of the Year, A.M.E.N Awards, 2004
- Music of the Year, Excellence Recognition Awards, 2004
- Best New Act Male, A.M.E.N Awards, 2004
- Outstanding Contribution to the Entertainment Industry, Award for Excellence, 2004
- Best Album of the Year, Nigeria Entertainment Awards New York, 2004
- Song of the Year for ‘African Queen’ Nigeria Entertainment Awards New York, 2004
- Best Hip-hop & R&B Artiste, Nigeria Entertainment Awards New York, 2004
- Musician of the Year, City People Awards for Excellence, 2004
- Best Male Video, Channel O Music Video Awards, 2005
- Best African Act, Channel O Music Video Awards, 2005
- Best African Act, Kora Awards, 2005
- Outstanding Musician of the Year, Black Heritage Awards for Excellence, 2005
- Best Musical Artiste, Afro Nollywood Award 2005
- African Song of the Year (Non-Ghanaian), Ghana Music Awards, 2005
- Best Male Video, Channel O Music Video Awards, 2005
- Best African Act, Kora Awards, 2005
- Special Recognition, Hip-hop Awards, 2005
- Best Song of the Year, G.C.E International Awards, 2005
- Best African Video of the Year, Channel O Music Video Award, 2005
- Best African Act, MTV Europe Music Awards, 2005
- Nominated Best African Act, MOBO Awards, 2005
- Africa Breakthrough Artist of the Year, Nigeria Entertainment Awards New York, 2006
- Musician of the Year, The Future Awards, 2006
- Best African Act, MOBO Awards, 2007
- Best Album of the Year, Nigeria Entertainment Awards New York 2007
See Also: Biography and business life of Banky W.
From 2008 – 2019
- Best Selling Nigeria Artist, World Music Awards, Monaco, Spain, 2008
- Best R‘n’B/ Pop Album, Hip-hop World Awards, 2008
- Best African Act, Australian African Awards, 2008
- Best R&B, MTV Africa Music Awards, 2009
- Best Male, MTV Africa Music Awards, 2009
- Best Video for ‘Enter the Place’ MTV Africa Music Awards, 2009
- Most Gifted West African Video, Channel O Music Video Awards, 2010
- Best Western, Sound City Awards, 2010
- Best Male, MTV African Music Awards, 2010
- Artist of the Year, MTV Africa Music Awards, 2010
- Best Pop Video for ‘Implication’ Sound City Awards, 2010
- Best International Act, Africa BET Awards of 2011
- New Champions for an Enduring Culture, 16 Edition of the Annual THISDAY Awards presented by former US President Bill Clinton and Gov. Arnold Schwarzenneger
- Album of the Year, Hip-hop World Awards, The Headies, 2011
- Best R’n’B/Pop Album, Hip-hop World Awards, The Headies, 2011
- Honorary Graduate (Bachelor of Arts) Obafemi Awolowo
- Best R’n’B Single ‘Let Somebody Love You’ Headies, 2014
- Album of the Year ‘Ascension‘ Ben TV Awards, 2014
- Best International Collaboration ‘Rainbow’ ft T-Pain, Ben TV Awards, 2014
- Fellow of the School OF Music, Obafemi Awolowo University, Music Department, 2019
- Honorary Fellow Award, National Institute of Marketing Of Nigeria, 2019
Business Lessons From 2Face
Never Give Up
2face is successful today because he never gave up on his dreams. As an entrepreneur, you must display a high level of tenacity for your business to succeed. Do not let back-talks or gossips from critics slip you off your game. Sooner or later, your efforts and impact will be appreciated.
2face has done several collaborative songs with musicians within and outside Nigeria. He also formed a collaborative record label with 960 Group of Music. As an entrepreneur, you must also learn to work with people and build long lasting partnerships. In doing this, the entrepreneurial burden of running around will be reduced and you can have a greater output collectively.
2Baba has remained humble and down-to-earth, notwithstanding the fact that he has been successful in his career. His versatility has kept him relevant in the music industry. For example, Timaya and several others within and outside the music industry sees 2Baba as a Legend.
As an entrepreneurs, to be truly relevant, you will have to constantly recreate your business. A business owner is constantly watching his industry and creating products and services that keep him relevant.
Every great Musician you see today attained that height by simply pursuing their career passionately. To stand tall, you need to be passionate about your business. Passion is that which keeps you going when it seems the world is falling apart.