Ayo Richard Makun fondly called AY is a comedian, movie producer, actor, writer, and entrepreneur. AY is one of the most creative comedians that has influenced the upcoming and existing artiste through his Open Mic Challenge.
Ayo Makun Biography
Ayo Makun was born on 19th of August, 1971 in Warri, Delta State. A.Y hails from Ifon, Ose Local Government, Ondo State but prefer to be called a ‘warri boy’.
Ayo makun has a Bachelor’s degree in Theatre Art from Delta State University, Abraka. While in school, A.Y was very active and had many nominations and awards including Best Showbiz Promoter (2001) and Most Celebrated Theatre Arts Student (2003).
Ayo Makun married Mabel, CEO of Maidas Interior in 2008 and they are blessed with a beautiful daughter, Michelle Makun. AY has six siblings, two boys, and four girls. One of his brothers, Yomi Makun known as Yomi Casual is one of the A-list fashion designer in Nigeria.
A.Y as a Comedian
Ayo Makun has always been into showbiz since undergraduate days. A.Y launched and hosted shows like Miss Delsu, Miss Delta and many more. Fate smiled on him in one of his shows when he met Alibaba Akporobome, a well-known comedian and actor who later became his mentor.
A.Y started out as a personal assistant and event manager to Ali Baba. His work with Ali Baba prepared him to understand what people want and helped groom him into a professional comedian.
The entertainer started performing at Ali Baba’s Fans Club show at Victoria Garden City (VGC). Ayo Makun rose to fame after he performed at a comedy show hosted by Opa Williams in 2006. Ever since then, he has risen to the top of his game and has become one of the most bankable comedians in Nigeria.
The entertainer wrote ‘A.Y wire’ as a guest columnist in The Sun Newspaper and Gbenga Adeyinka’s ‘laff Mattaz’. He also presented the AY Live on The Morning Drive every Friday from 6am to 10am on Rhythm 93.7FM, Lagos.
Platforms For A.Y Comedy
- AY Live, the usually sold out comedy and music concerts which holds annually on Easter Sunday. The much-anticipated show started in 2010 and enjoys a huge crowd both in Lagos and London.
- AY’s Crib is a TV sitcom launched in 2013. AY stares in the comedy show alongside Alex Ekubo, Buchi Franklin, Justice Nuagbe, and Venita Akpofure.
- The AY Show is a TV comedy show, aired on many terrestrial television stations across Nigeria and Africa Magic.
- AY’s Open Mic Challenge is a monthly comedy show for many upcoming and established acts in the industry. The show is held every third Sunday of the month at the Marquee at Federal Palace Hotels and Casinos, Lagos.
The stand-up comedian is the CEO of Corporate World Entertainment (CWE), an organisation that focuses on organising live events and providing contents for radio and television. The company powers the annually sold out AY Live, produces the AY Live VCD’s and the most watched TV show. AY’s Open Mic Challenge and AY’s Crib are also product of CWE.
Today, Corporate World Entertainment is one of the top-notch producer of comedic content in Nigeria.
Ayo Makun as Movie Producer
As a ‘warri boy’, Ayo Makun expanded his portfolio by venturing into movie production. His first movie as a producer was ’30 Days in Atlanta’. His movies are hilarious adventurous.
AY’s 30 Days in Atlanta broke Nigeria’s box office record as the highest domestic grossing film in 2015 and was listed on Guinness Book of World Records. The film also starred leading actors such as Richard Mofe Damijo, Ramsey Noah and Mercy Johnson.
Other movies produced by A.Y
A Trip to Jamaica (2016)
10 Days in Sun City (2017)
The Merry Man (2018)
Films A.Y has starred
Being Mrs Elliot (2014)
The Lodgers (2016)
The Wedding Party(2016)
American Driver (2017)
Mom at War (2018).
Other Interest of Ayo Makun
He owns a luxurious night club, MVP Lounge in the highbrow area of Lekki Phase 1. MVP Lounge is an exclusive club house with bar, restaurant, game room, karaoke room, gold and diamond room with a lounge. It is located at the penthouse floor of Omission Emporium Mall situated at Lekki Phase 1.
Ayo Makun has worked with reputable brands and promoted shows for individuals and corporate organisations including Unilever Plc, Glo, etc. He is the brand ambassador of Western Lotto and Peak Milk.
Recognition and Awards
- Comedian of the Year at Diamond Awards for Comedy 2008
- Comedian of the Year at Teen Favourite 2008
- Comedian of the Year at MBG Abuja Merit Awards 2008
- Comedian of the Year at National Daily Awards 2008
- Comedian of the Year at Arsenal Award for Excellence 2008
- Comedian of the Year at Mode Men of the Year Awards 2008
- Best Comedian in Nigeria at City People Entertainment Awards 2009
- Comedian of the Year at Nigerian Entertainment Awards 2010
- Most Creative Entrepreneur of the Year at Creative Industry Awards 2013
- TV Comedy Show of the Year at Creative Industry Awards 2013
- Best Comedy Film at Africa Movie Academy Awards 2015
- Best Supporting Actor at Nigerian Entertainment Awards 2017
- Nollywood Personality of the Year at The Sun Awards 2017
- Golden Movie (Comedy) at Golden Movie Awards 2017
Let’s create visibility for your brand and put your business on the world map. Contact us today to make your brand the preferred choice for our audience of entrepreneurs and business leaders.
To keep track of our activities, follow us on Instagram.