Anyone can have an idea, no matter who they are or where they are. British Council’s #IdeasChangeLives is looking for that groundbreaking idea that will change lives and the world.
See Also: United Nations Democracy Fund (UNDEF) opens its next proposal window for round 14.
British Council is looking for people with fresh and big ideas who have entrepreneurial spirit that will positively impact communities across the world.
#IdeasChangeLives is a global innovation challenge by British Council to find digital solutions to some of the world’s greatest problems.
There will be a pitch and the winning pitch gets £20,000 to invest in their idea. Also, they get support and mentorship for a full year from British Council.
See Also: Energy Access Booster applications for 2020 are now open.
#IdeasChangeLives Focus For 2019
British Council is looking for ideas that meet any or all of the targets within one of the following three Sustainable Development Goals:
Goal 4 – Quality education (It is about ensuring inclusive and equitable quality education. And promoting lifelong learning opportunities for all).
Goal 5- Gender equality (which is about achieving gender equality and empowering all women and girls).
Goal 8- Decent work and economic growth (promoting sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all).
British Council is looking for thoughtful, creative and unusual digital solutions. Even if you just have an idea, as long as you have given it a thought, you are encouraged to apply.
See Also: 100 Profitable business ideas to start now for aspiring entrepreneurs and investors.
Consider These, Before Applying
1) The need your idea addresses – Be clear the problems your idea will help solve and be certain of the particular Global Goal you are focusing on.
2) How people will benefit – You will have to tell British Council why your idea matters to the people it is designed for and how it has the potential to positively impact thousands of lives.
3) Why it’s compelling – There has to be a story behind your idea as British Council need to feel that you really care about making a difference.
4) The competition – You have to show a clear understanding and awareness of any competitors who may be working on similar products and tell why your idea is different.
Finally, it doesn’t matter if you haven’t worked with technology before. What does matter is a clear understanding of how your idea will work in the real world. You just have to think carefully about the tools and resources needed to turn it into a product.
See Also: Business funding opportunities for women owned businesses.
What You Get When You Win #IdeasChangeLives Challenge
- £20,000 in price money to develop your product, no matter what stage of product development you’re at.
- Support from digital experts who will help you develop your idea at your own pace.
- Opportunity to connect with others and develop further partnerships through access to global networks, events and sector expertise.
- Access to on-going mentorship from British Council.
- Advice from subject matter experts on how to potentially grow and scale-up your idea.
Important Dates To Note
Application is open until 10 January, 2020. In February 2020, shortlisted applicants will be announced. They will then be asked to make a short video and develop a business model to showcase their idea.
The finalist who will be interviewed by British Council’s judging panel will be announced in March 2020. The judging panel will be made up of industry experts and representatives from the British Council’s digital, partnerships and innovation team. Also, the competition winners will be announced in March 2020.
It is our goal to inspire, inform and support entrepreneurs in Entrepreneurs.ng. Do you have an idea that will positively impact the world? Click here to apply on British Council’s website.
Are you doing something amazing in your industry? Do you wish to be featured on the biggest entrepreneurial platform in Nigeria? Write us on email@example.com.