Joke Silva is an award-winning Nigerian actress, movie and theatre director, and producer. She is a businesswoman, co-founder of Lufodo Group, and the pioneer Managing Director of Malete Film Village, in association with Kwara State University.
See Also: Resources that will help you start, market and grow a sustainable business.
Joke Silva Background And Professional Training.
Joke Silva was born on the 29th of September 1961, to an Amaro Family of four in Lagos. Her late father, Mr Silva was a lawyer, while her late mother, Mrs Adebimbola was a doctor.
She attended Holy Child College, Lagos, after which she went for her A level studies abroad. After her A levels, she came back to Nigeria and joined the University of Lagos (Unilag) Culture Centre, which later became the department of creative arts.
The culture centre always had performances all around Lagos and outside Nigeria. It was at one of the performances, that someone noticed her perform, and invited her to come and work with the National Television Authority (NTA). While working with NTA, she started doing radio productions. Also, she got an invitation to work at the National Theatre.
Despite all the attention and jobs Joke Silva was getting, she still felt something was missing, so she decided to go for additional training to be an ace in her field. So, she went for an audition training to get into drama school. After her training, she got admitted into Web Douglas Academy, London, where she studied for over two years before relocating back to Nigeria.
Her parents were very supportive because they saw her passion for the entertainment industry from her childhood days. Besides, she was making good money from it, so why not. Joke Silva is married to a fellow thespian actor Olu Jacobs, and they are blessed with two children.
Joke Silva Early Career
Thus far, she has starred in innumerable English and Yoruba films and television series. In 1990, she featured in an English film – Mind Bending. Also, she featured in Owulorojo in 1993, then Violated in 1995, and in 1998 she starred in the British-Canadian film – The Secret Laughter of Women alongside Colin Firth and Nia Long.
In 2002, Joke Silva starred in Keeping Faith alongside Bimbo Akintola, who later cited her as a major influence in her career. In the same year, Joke Silva co-produced and starred in The Kingmaker with Olu Jacobs, then A Husband’s Wife in 2003, and in 2004, she featured in Shylock and A Past Came Calling.
Joke Silva Movies From 2005 – 2019
- Women’s Cot – 2005
- The Amazing Grace – 2006
- 30 Days – 2006
- Letters to a Stranger – 2007
- The Visitors – 2012
- Married but Living Single – 2012
- Phone Swap – 2012
- The Grave Dust – 2015
- Potato Potahto – 2017
- The Royal Hibiscus Hotel – 2017
- Kada River – 2017
- Timeless – 2017
- Bandits – 2017
- If I am President – 2018
- Chief Daddy – 2018
- Light in the Dark – 2019
- The Set Up – 2019
Joke Silva is the Assistant Chairman of the Lufodo group. The group was established in 1985, as a stage and film production company. Presently, it has evolved into a full-fledged media and entertainment services company. The company was incorporated on the 25th of September 2000 with the intent of developing and producing stories that will entertain mainstream audiences.
The company’s vision is to develop and deploy internationally benchmarked entertainment content for the stage, television, and film industry. The Group consists of Lufodo Productions, Lufodo Consult, Lufodo Distribution, and Lufodo Academy of Performing Arts (LAPA).
See Also: 100 Profitable business ideas to start now as an entrepreneur.
Lufodo production is the visual arm of the Lufodo Group, which has produced and co-produced plays and films in recent years. The arm also works with emerging talents and develops stories.
This arm of the group specializes in training through the use of theatrical skills to enhance corporate brands.
This is the arm of the group that handles the distribution of all media content.
Lufodo Academy of Performing Arts (LAPA)
LAPA is the educational arm of Lufodo Group that delivers world-class training in acting, and other performing arts disciplines. Currently, LAPA has received accreditation from the National Board of Technical Education of Nigeria (NBTE). As a result, LAPA now offers a 2-year conservatory program where graduating students will be awarded a National Innovative Diploma in Performing and Media Arts.
Endorsements Of Joke Silva
- She is an ambassador of the African Pavilion.
- Joke Silva was a goodwill ambassador for the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime, from 2012 – 2015.
- AIICO Pension Managers Limited (APML), endorsed her as an ambassador on the 16th of September 2016.
See Also: Famous entrepreneurs in Nigeria mining the gold of the land.
Quotes Of Joke Silva
- “Excellence is a way of life. It can only be achieved when it is pursued every day. Regardless of your vocation or profession, always strive to be better today, than you were yesterday.”
- “Prayer is my propeller. It helps me hold it all together, and the distance I have covered is only because I draw strength from God’s presence.”
- “Work hard at what you want, because it may not come to you without some determination and persistence.”
- “You can’t fix yourself by breaking someone else. Instead of putting anyone down, inspire them, change their life for the better, make them happy, make them smile, lift their spirit, and see what blessings will come your way.”
- “Sometimes people try to expose what’s wrong with you because they can’t handle what’s right with you.”
- “Surround yourself with people who will lift you higher. Whoever is trying to bring you down is already below you.”
- “Don’t be deceived by what happens on social media. Obviously, there is something else actors are doing, perhaps other businesses to shore up their income.”
Awards And Recognitions Of Joke Silva
- EMOTAN Award by the African Independent Television (AIT)
- SOLIDRA Award for Visual Art
- Best Actress in a Leading Role at the 2nd Africa Movie Academy Awards – 2006
- 10 nominations at the Africa Movie Academy Awards – 2008
- Best Supporting Actress at the Africa Movie Academy Awards – 2008
- Member of the Order of the Federal Republic (MFR) – 2014
Life Lesson From Joke Silva
- Support your children with their dreams, vision, and passion. Believe in them and encourage them in every way you can.
- Being passionate isn’t enough, hone your passion into skills, so that you can be an expert and be relevant in your industry.
- Prayer is a very important factor for success.
Let’s create visibility for your brand and put your business on the world map. Contact us today to make your brand the preferred choice for our audience of entrepreneurs and business leaders.
Image Credit: @jokesilva (Instagram)
1 thought on “Joke Silva: Biography, Business Life, And Movies Of An Ace Nigerian Actress”
I love your movies.