Rotimi Amaechi is the Minister of Transportation for Nigeria. He was a a two-term speaker of the Rivers State House of Assembly, and a two-term governor of Rivers State. Rotimi Amaechi is currently a member of the board of trustees of the United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR).
Rotimi Amaechi Background
Rotimi Chibuike Amaechi was born on the 27th of May 1965, in Ubima, Ikwerre LGA, Rivers State, to the family of late Elder Fidelis Amaechi and Mrs Mary Amaechi.
He attended St. Theresa’s Primary School, Ubima, and obtained his First School Leaving Certificate in 1976. Afterwards, he proceeded for his secondary education at the Government Secondary School, Okolobiri, where he obtained his West African School Certificate in 1982.
As an intelligent child with a bright future, he continued his educational pursuit at the University of Port Harcourt (UNIPORT) and graduated with a B.A in English.
While in the university, Rotimi was President of the National Union of Rivers State Students (NURSS). He has a Master’s in English at the same University.
Rotimi Amaechi is married to Judith Amaechi, and they are blessed with three boys.
Rotimi Amaechi Career
After graduating from the University in 1988, Rotimi went for his compulsory one-year National Youth Service Corps (NYSC). On concluding his NYSC service, he got a job at Peter Odili’s hospital – Pamo Clinics and Hospitals Limited and worked there till 1992. Peter Odili was the Deputy Governor of Rivers State at the time. It was after he left his job at the hospital that he delved into politics.
Rotimi started politics as the secretary of the defunct National Republican Convention (NRC) in Ikwerre LGA, Rivers State. Afterwards, he became the Special Assistant to the Deputy Governor of Rivers State, Sir (Dr.) Peter Odili. Also, he as was a member of the Board of West Africa Glass Industry and RisonPalm Nigeria Limited.
In 1999, he was elected into the Rivers State House of Assembly and eventually became the speaker, Rivers State House of Assembly through Peter Odili’s influence.
Peter Odili sensed Rotimi Amaechi would make a great politician, so he adopted him as a political son, and led him through his early political journey.
Capacities In Which Rotimi Amaechi Has Served As A Politician
- River’s State Secretary of the Democratic Party of Nigeria (DPN) caretaker committee under the Sani Abacha Administration – 1996
- 2-Term governor of Rivers State. (2007-2015)
- Director-General of the All Progressives Congress Presidential Campaign Organization.
- Chairman of the Nigeria Governors Forum for four years (2011-2015).
- 2-Term Pioneer Chairman of Conference of Speakers of State Assemblies of Nigeria.
Rotimi Amaechi As Governor Of Rivers State
In 2007, Rotimi Amaechi contested and won the primaries for the People’s Democratic Party governorship candidate for Rivers State. He then went on to contest at the April 2007 Rivers State governorship election.
Rotimi Amaechi emerged as the winner of the election and began functioning as the governor of the state on the 26th of October 2007. At the expiration of his four-year tenure, he was re-elected for a second term in April 2011.
While he served as governor, he carried out lots of infrastructural works like construction of roads and bridges, modernization of transportation services, e.t.c.
Also, he commenced the building of a monorail in a bid to provide mass transportation within Port Harcourt. Rotimi Amaechi also built power plant projects at Afam, Trans Amadi, and Onne to improve the State’s power supply.
Rotimi Amaechi’s Quotes
“Yes, we’ve our challenges like every other nation. We’ve our differences like most countries do. But our diversity remains one of our biggest strengths…”
“…With love and unity, I see greatness ahead, a great, prosperous Nigeria. Let’s join hands to build this Nigeria.”
“God first. Commitment to service, stay focus, pursue your dream, e.t.c.”
“Everyone who’s for the growth, development and progress of Nigeria is my partner.”
“We hope, pray, and should work that our tomorrow is better than our yesterday and our today.”
“As Christians, we should attempt to emulate Christ, love one another irrespective of religion, tribe or ideology, and also love our country.”
Awards And Recognitions Of Rotimi Amaechi
- National honour of the Commander of the Order of the Niger (CON)
- International Award for Political Leadership – 2000
- BusinessDay Best Governor in Education Development Award – 2013
- Rotimi Amaechi is a holder of the United Nations Official Passport – 2014
- Associated Fellow of United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR) – 2014
- Rotimi Amaechi’s administration made Port Harcourt earn the vote of the World Book Capital – 2014
- Serving Member, Board of Trustees of the United Nations Institute of Training and Research (UNITAR) – 2016
- Blueprint Newspapers Award for his contribution to the rail development and building of the first monorail system in Sub-Sahara Africa – 2018
- Honorary Doctorate Degree in Unity and Development by Kaduna State University (KASU) – 2018
- Polo Stallion Star Awards for his revolutionary approach in the transportation sector of Nigeria – 2019
- Ministerial Award for Mass Transportation Infrastructure Development at the National Tourism Transport Summit and Expo – 2019
Entrepreneurial Lesson From Rotimi Amaechi’s Life
Be A Person Of Integrity And Character
Rotimi is very open and approachable. He is one Nigerian politician that interacts freely with Nigerians on his twitter page. His works are visible as he puts his heart to them. Rotimi is passionate about making Nigeria better.
Amaechi’s integrity has given him a strong foothold in Nigerian politics. It has not only earned him the people’s respect, but several awards. This is evident when you compare him to other politicians that have served in his capacity.
As an entrepreneur, your integrity will take you places your skill may not. Rotimi didn’t even have the educational background to become a politician, but he got personal training and guidance from an already established politician because of his character and integrity.
As An Entrepreneur, Be A True Leader
Rotimi Amaechi is indeed a true leader, as he always thinks of how to solve the problem of the masses. He puts effort into making Nigeria a safe place to live.
As an entrepreneur, if you put the needs of your customers first, and seeks ways to solve their needs, you will be on your way to a sustainable success. When you solve the right problem, money always follow. The challenge is when entrepreneurs run after money first without solving any tangible problem through their businesses.
Image Credit: @ChibuikeAmaechi (Twitter)