The WE Empower UN SDG challenge 2020 is receiving applications from women entrepreneurs with sustainable business practices. This is an opportunity for those who are advancing the UN Sustainable Development Goals and building a vision for a sustainable future.
Therefore, if you are a female entrepreneur inspiring the community to create the future we need, this is for you.
About WE Empower UN SDG Challenge
The We Empower Challenge is a global business competition. It aims to honor, support and celebrate women and social entrepreneurs with sustainable business practices. It’s for those who are advancing the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals and inspiring entire communities to create the world we want by 2030.
Generally, the initiative aims to provide access to seed capital, unique training, capacity building, networking, visibility, and showcase work credibility. Also, it aims to ignite awareness among a global community of stakeholders on the valuable contribution women entrepreneurs make in contributing to the SDGs and the obstacles they still face.
Benefits Of The WE Empower UN SDG Challenge
A total of five entrepreneurs will be chosen from each of the five UN Regional Blocks and awarded. Also, each of them will receive an all-expense-paid trip to New York during the UN Global Goals week (18 – 27 September 2020). This way, they can participate in tailored training and special events.
Also, they will benefit the following;
- All flights, accommodations, and incidentals while in New York
- A special curated week-long agenda in New York with individualized training, high-level dialogues at the UN, and coaching on communications and speech prep in preparation for the pitch evening night.
- Participate in an evening event hosted by Diane von Furstenberg that brings together top business leaders, celebrities and the media for a dynamic pitch competition. Here, each Regional Awardee pitches her business for a $20,000 cash grant
- Attend a high-level dialogue with senior UN Officials, the Council of Women World Leaders and the Women Political Leaders Global Forum
- Speak in a panel discussion at an intimate high-level dinner reception hosted by the G5 Collective and Vital Voices.
- Participate in Global Citizen week events and attend the Global Citizen Festival.
To be eligible for the We Empower Challenge, applicants must meet all of the following criteria. Finalists will be required to provide evidence of sales (i.e tax returns and/or audited financial records).
- You must be a woman entrepreneur with a lead decision-making ability in a business or organization
- The business must have been in operation for more than three years.
- Should employ at least three full-time staff (or full-time equivalent)
- Your business should generate at least $100,000 USD in annual sales or revenue
- Must be proficient in spoken and written English
- You must be at least 21 years old
- You must be available to travel to NYC between 18 September – 27 September 2020
How It Works
Applicants will be assessed based on a variety of factors. Some of which include;
- Identification of the world region you are located in, from either of these five; Europe and North America; the Middle East and North Africa; Sub-Saharan Africa; Asia-Pacific; Latin America and Caribbean.
- Ability to commit to the entire week of the in-person program which is no exception.
- The willingness to help shape the community dialogue about women’s advancement and the SDG’s in your region, and wield the influence necessary to do so.
- Available to secure a US visa
- Submission of a two-minute video following the specified guidelines.
How To Apply For The WE Empower UN SDG Challenge
To apply, first, you need to register an account to begin the process. Then, complete your online application (you may save and complete later). Also, you will need to answer security questions, provide basic information about yourself, business and primary country of business and others.
In addition, you will be required to do a two-minute video which is one of the requirements for consideration.
The Video Specifications Include;
In doing the video, less attention is paid to the quality of your video and more attention is given to the quality of your response. Also, it is acceptable, if you wish to make your short video using a smartphone. You will be required to answer the following questions in your video;
- Full name (first name and family name)
- Name of the country where your business is located
- The mission of your organization
- What you hope to achieve if you are selected to participate as a finalist in the competition
- State the impact of your activities on the UN SDGs
- Then, your video attachments can be hosted on a video site such as YouTube or Vimeo
- You may also upload a video file within the application platform
- The file size should not exceed 20 MB and it can be in the following format: .MP4, .MOV, and .WMV
Please do not upload any materials that are not listed as the judges will not consider it. The written component of your entry should be fully explained within the provided form fields.
The online application for the WE Empower challenge 2020 is ongoing and will close on April 15, 2020. Then, by June 15, 2020, Awardees will be notified. Next, the WE Empower Program will hold from 18 – 27 September 2020 in New York City.
Please note that, applicants with more than one business/organisation should complete the application regarding the business/organisation that you would like to focus on during the Global Challenge opportunity, if you are selected to participate in the program.
To read more and apply, click here.