DJ Cuppy is a Nigerian Disc Jockey (DJ), a musician, a producer, a songwriter, an entrepreneur and a philanthropist whose reach is expanding rapidly across the globe. She is the daughter of Nigerian business mogul – Femi Otedola, and also the owner of the Red Velvet Music Group located in the UK and Lagos, Nigeria.
DJ Cuppy Background
DJ Cuppy’s birth names are Florence Ifeoluwa Otedola. She was born on the 11th of November 1992, in Lagos State to Mr Femi Otedola and Mrs Nana Otedola. DJ Cuppy lived in Ilupeju, Lagos with her family for 6 years, after which they moved to Ikeja. She left Lagos to attend a boarding school in London at the age of 13.
After her A-levels, she went to study Business and Economics at King’s College London and graduated in July 2014. Due to her passion for music, on completing her undergraduate studies, DJ Cuppy went for her masters’ degree in music at the New York University and graduated in 2015.
DJ Cuppy Career
DJ Cuppy officially became a DJ at the age of 18, after her A-level studies. Her outstanding performance as a DJ made way for her as the resident DJ at the MTV Africa Music Awards in Durban. Owing to her ace performance in Durban, Cuppy was called up to perform at Tatler and Christie’s Art Ball in London, as well as at the Financial Times Luxury Summit in Mexico City.
Afterwards, she released her first music mix titled ‘House of Cuppy’ in 2014. The mix introduced the beginning of a new sound that Cuppy described as Neo-Afrobeats – an electric blend of tropical house and Afro-beats music. She launched the music mix in London, New York and Lagos, the same year, she launched the Red Velvet Music Group. Red Velvet Music Group is a music management and content production company with office locations in London and Lagos.
Cuppy Takes Africa
In 2015, DJ Cuppy went on a tour to 8 cities in Africa which she called ‘Cuppy Takes Africa’. It later became an 8-episode documentary series on Fox Life Africa. During the tour, Cuppy visited Nigeria, Senegal, Ghana, Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda, Uganda, and South Africa. The tour also included performances, major artist collaborations, and charity projects and was sponsored by GTBank and Dangote Foundation. Later that year, Cuppy went to work as an intern at Roc Nation owned by Jay Z.
DJ Cuppy produced Vibe and The way I am in 2017. These songs were on Young Paris Afrobeats EP, and it debuted on the 24th of March, 2017. Cuppy released her first official single Green Light on the 13th of October 2017 and she featured Tekno. On the 30th of March 2018, she released her second single Vybe in which she featured Sarkodie, a Ghanian rapper.
Endorsements of DJ Cuppy
- DJ Cuppy was appointed by Nigeria’s Minister of Tourism, Culture and National Orientation as the tourism ambassador for the country’s “Fascinating Nigeria” campaign in April 2014.
- She was endorsed as one of Pepsi’s DJ ambassadors, on the 20th of March 2018.
- DJ Cuppy became the Global Citizen Education Ambassador on the 5th of June 2018.
- Cuppy became Samsung’s ambassador in 2019.
- On the 11th of March 2019, DJ Cuppy announced her partnership with Maybelline as an ‘IT GIRL’. She intends to use her role as a Maybelline ambassador to drive inclusiveness and project Africa to the world. She would reflect the company’s values by touching lives and empowering women.
- Tiger beer endorsed her as its ambassador on the 12th of June 2019.
- She is an ambassador of Save Children UK.
See Also: Biography of a renowned Nigerian rapper
DJ Cuppy’s Songs
- Green Light featuring Tekno – 2017
- Vybe featuring Sarkodie – 2018
- Currency featuring L.A.X – 2018
- Werk featuring Skuki – 2018
- Charged Up Dj Cuppy and Masterkraft – 2018
- Abena featuring Kwesi Arthur, Shaydee, Ceeza Milli – 2019
Media Features of DJ Cuppy
- Cuppy featured in Forbes Woman Africa Magazine April/May 2015 edition.
- The Guardian Life magazine featured DJ Cuppy on its cover page in January 2015.
- Glitz Africa featured DJ cuppy on its cover page on the 10th of June 2019.
DJ Cuppy Quotes
“Please don’t ever let social media fool you – nobody’s life (including mine) is perfect.”
“My family is high profile: It always gets highlighted and people get so caught up in my background that they question my talent, authenticity and skill. I’m so set on my path and I’m unapologetic.”
“If I had a show tonight and no one came, I literally wouldn’t care, just because I love what I do so much.”
“…Obviously, it’s really nice when you do what you love and someone else loves it too, but you can’t please everyone.”
“My people… doesn’t matter how over-saturated the market is. If God called you to it, there’s room for you!”
“Regardless of any door that gets closed, it’s all about depending on nobody but yourself…”
“…In life, we feel let down like we’re not good enough; you are more than good enough. You just have to go for it and take what is yours, good things come to those who work hard, and not those who wait.”
DJ Cuppy’s Awards and Nominations
- Nominated as Female DJ at the ELOY Awards in 2014.
- DJ Cuppy won the Best Female DJ at the NEA Awards in 2015.
- Best female DJ of the Year at the Beatz Awards in 2016.
- DJ Cuppy was named Best female DJ of the Year at the Beatz Awards in 2017.
- Best female DJ of the Year at the Beatz Awards in 2018.
Net Worth of DJ Cuppy
Dj Cuppy works hard and deserves all the accolades. For someone who has numerous endorsement deals from many international brands and has been invited for shows in over 25 countries, she is expected to be worth millions of Naira. However, we could not ascertain her net worth but austinemedia.com estimated her net worth at $1.7 milliion.
See Also: Biography, songs and lifestyle of Wizkid
DJ Cuppy’s Cars
DJ Cuppy was born into affluence, it is expected that her cars would be nothing less than exotic. We were not disappointed, as DJ Cuppy owns a 2016 Mercedes Benz AMG G55 SUV worth about 42 million Naira. She also owns a white Range Rover Sports 2017 model worth 24 million Naira and the most recent which is a red Ferrari Portofino worth over 75 million Naira.
Life Lessons From DJ Cuppy’s Story
- Being from an affluent family is not a reason for you to be a mummy’s boy or daddy’s girl. DJ Cuppy works really hard to make her own money, with no reliance on her father’s wealth.
- No one is too young to pursue their dreams. Regardless of your age, when you discover your passion, look for opportunities to harness it, train yourself on it, and just get better.
Image credit: @cuppymusic (Instagram)