If your business involves the production or importation of food and drug-related products, you cannot run such business in Nigeria without properly registering with the National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC). Due to the assumed stringent procedure of NAFDAC registration, many run away from involving in any food or drug business or look for ways to cut corners.
See Also: Benefits Of Registering Your Business With Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC)
Howbeit, many companies have been able to successfully get NAFDAC’s approval for their products. Usually, it is a lack of adequate information that makes the process rigorous for many people. In this article, you will get the necessary information you need to begin and complete your registration with NAFDAC.
Basically, NAFDAC permits cover two categories: Foods and Drugs. Therefore, if manufactured or imported goods fall within these two categories, registration with NAFDAC is mandatory.
Also, note that the foods or drugs companies must first register with the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC) before registering their products with NAFDAC.
To ensure the safety of Nigerian citizens, every manufacturer, exporter, importer, or trader of drug and food-related products must comply with the registration requirements set down by NAFDAC.
See Also: Bulk SMS Business – How To Start Bulk SMS Business In Nigeria
The Evolution Of NAFDAC
The National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) is a federal agency under the Federal Ministry of Health. It is the body responsible for regulating the importation, manufacture, exportation, distribution, sale, and use of food, drugs, cosmetics, medical devices, chemicals, and packaged water in Nigeria.
In 1989, over 150 children died as a result of paracetamol syrup containing diethylene glycol. At the time, the issue of fake drugs was rampant in Nigeria such that neighbouring countries such as Sierra Leone and Ghana banned the sale of foods, drugs and beverages products made in Nigeria.
See Also: 60 Online Businesses You Can Start From Home And Become Rich
This problem led to the establishment of NAFDAC. The aim of NAFDAC is to ensure that all imported or locally produced food and drugs are safe for consumption.
In December 1992, NAFDAC’s first governing council was formed. The council was headed by Tanimu Saulawa. In 1994, NAFDAC was officially established as a “parastatal of the Federal Ministry of Health”.
See Also: How To Start A Football Viewing Center In Nigeria
NAFDAC Registration Procedures
Note the following when registering with NAFDAC
- The registration requirement for locally produced products is different from that of imported products.
- Each NAFDAC registration number is for a single product. If you have more than one product, you will have to get a separate registration number for the product.
See Also: How To Get Tax Identification Number (TIN) And Open A Bank Account For Your Business
How To Register With NAFDAC
Step One: Get NAFDAC Registration Form
The first step is to go to the nearest NAFDAC’s office to you to make your request known. NAFDAC’s headquarters is located at Plot 2302, Olusegun Obasanjo way, Zone 7, Wuse, Abuja, Nigeria.
However, if you are not in Abuja, find the address of their zonal office in your state. Once you get there, purchase the NAFDAC registration form and fill it appropriately.
As said earlier, each registration form can only be used for a single product. So, if you have more than one product, you’ll need to purchase more than one form.
See Also: Taxes: Different Taxes In Nigeria And How To Pay Your Tax
Step Two: Submit Your Registration And Application Form
Write an application letter to NAFDAC stating your intention to register your product(s). Note that your letter of application should contain all relevant information about your product: product name, product description, manufacturer’s name, who the product is for, etc.
Address your letter to the director in charge of the zone you are registering with. Submit your registration form alongside your application letter and other required documents.
Also, provide NAFDAC with relevant information and a description of your facility for proper inspection. This stage may be quite tedious but it’s always worth the effort.
See Also: How To Start A Successful Supermarket Business In Nigeria
Step Three: Submit Samples Of Your Products
Thereafter, you would be notified to submit three samples of your product for inspection and analysis. As soon as you complete this stage, a certificate of recognition as a manufacturer would be issued to you.
Step Four: Make Necessary Payments
The next step is to make necessary payment for your registration. To avoid delays, make the required payment on time. The fees and tarriffs to be paid depend on the type and category of product you are registering.
See Also: How To Start A Successful Bakery Business In Nigeria
Step Five: Certificate Collection
After your product is registered, you will be given a NAFDAC registration number and certificate of registration for the product.
How Long Does NAFDAC Registration Takes?
- Registration of food products takes not more than 90 days from after acceptance of the application
- Drug products registration takes not more than 120 days from acceptance of the application
- Variation of product registration takes not more than 60 days
See Also: How To Start Printing Business In Nigeria
Registration Processes With Timelines
- Submission of Application – 0 days
- Verification of documents – 10days
- Facility Inspection/Sampling – 10days for Food, 20days for Drugs
- Laboratory Analysis – 30 days for Food, 40 days for Drugs
- Final Vetting – 10 days
- Approval Meeting/Issuance of NAFDAC registration number – 20days
Total number of days: 90 days for Food, 120 days for Drugs
See Also: How To Start Bottled Water Or Pure Water Business In Nigeria
Procedure For Registering Imported Goods With NAFDAC
To register imported goods with NAFDAC, the foreign company needs to send samples of their product for analysis. But, this is not possible without proper approval to bring in the samples. Hence, the foreign company must first apply for approval to bring in samples to Nigeria.
To do this, NAFDAC issues special written authorization or import permit to enable importers to bring in the samples of their products. In addition, the importer must also obtain the documents required for the clearing and delivery of the samples from the manufacturer and other relevant bodies in the country of origin.
See Also: How To Start An E-Commerce Business In Nigeria
NAFDAC Registration Requirements For Food Products
- Certificate of Incorporation obtained from the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC)
- Certificate of inspection/recognition issued by NAFDAC
- Trademark approval for your brand name by Federal Ministry of Commerce (where applicable)
- Comprehensive Certificate of analysis of the batch of the product for registration from the manufacturer stating the name and signature of the analyst
- Application form forwarded to the Director stating the name of the manufacturer, brand name, and product(s).
See Also: How To Start A Cleaning Service Company In Nigeria
NAFDAC Registration Requirements For Drug
- Certificate of incorporation issued by the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC)
- Submit three samples of your product for quality analysis and inspection
- A signed and endorsed certificate of pharmaceutical product
- Original copy of Power of Attorney from the product manufacturer (if imported)
- The application letter for registration of the product
- Letter of invitation from manufacturer to inspect factory abroad with full names and site of the plant
- Completed NAFDAC application form
See Also: How To Start A Poultry Farming Business In Nigeria
Registration Requirements For Imported Goods
Note that the registration requirement for imported products (food or drugs) includes all the above mentioned. In addition to those, there are other conditions you must also meet if you want to register imported products with NAFDAC.
- An applicant must submit Power of Attorney or contract manufacturing agreement from the manufacturer authorizing the Nigerian representative to act in their capacity in Nigeria.
The document must be signed by the Director or President of the company. Also, the Power of Attorney or the contract manufacturing agreement must be notarized by the notary public in the country of the manufacturer.
- A certificate of free sale must be issued by a relevant health / regulatory body in the manufacturer’s country. The certificate must indicate the name of the manufacturer and the product
- A comprehensive certificate of analysis must be presented on a letter headed paper of the quality control laboratory where the sample was tested or evaluated and it should contain the following:
– The analysis of the product or goods
– The batch number of the product
– Manufacturing and expiry dates
– Name, designation, and signature of the analyst
- You must provide evidence that the manufacturer of the imported food or drug product are licensed to sell such product in the country of origin and that the sale of the product does not constitute a contravention of the food laws of that country of origin.
- Permit to import samples
- A letter of invitation to inspect the factory abroad
The NAFDAC registration process can be hard for businesses in Nigeria, which is why some businesses look for ways to cut corners. But, if you want to run a sustainable business without fear, it’s important that you do the right things.
The information in this article will guide you in applying for your NAFDAC. Go ahead and make that application, endure the process, get your NAFDAC registration number, and run your business without always looking over your shoulders.
If this information was useful to you, we will like you to share it with your friends.
Are you doing something extra-ordinary in your industry and you want the world to hear about it? Reach out to us today to tell your story.
To keep track of our activities, follow us on Instagram
16 thoughts on “How To Process Your NAFDAC And Get A NAFDAC Registration Number In Nigeria”
Thank you for this write up.
My business( groceries retailing)has been duly registered with CAC but run from home for now till I can get a place. Will it affect the certification?
I will like to register under a shipping company
Total cost for table water registration please
How can i register my business name with nafdac
Thank you, Debbie.
Please follow the procedure outlined in the article and make your application.
This was very helpful to me as I’m a cosmetic manufacturer trying to get nafdac numbers for my products.
What about cream and soap. Must it have a nafdac number
Thank you for reaching out us. You can get the answers by purchasing ” How To Start Your Own Liquid Soap Business” on https://www.entrepreneurs.ng/shop. It has the requirements and step-by-step guides to start your business.
PLEASE HOW MUCH IS NAFDAC REGISTRATION FORM
DO I NEED REGISTRATION FOR EXPORTING LOCAL FOOD LIKE CRAYFISH EGUSI ETC?
Please visit NAFDAC to get more information on the registration cost. Alternatively, get our book on how to start an exportation business on https://www.entrepreneurs.ng/shop. The book contains the cost of registering with NAFDAC and a step-by-step guide to start your exportation business with all the setupcost. You can get it directly here: https://www.entrepreneurs.ng/product/start-your-own-exportation-business/
If you are going for the finest contents like me, only pay a quick visit to this website every day because it gives the best contents. Thanks
How much will cost me to register my business name , moreover what are the requirement? Thanks
Thank you for reaching out to us. We have sent the registration requirements for registering a business name to your email. You can reach the department in charge through firstname.lastname@example.org
Please I want to register a water treater? how much does it cost and what are the requirements?
How can I verify if the nafdac number written on a particular product is authentic?
I tried to verify the nafdac number on a herbal drug but there is no platform for that.
Thank you for reading. There’s Nafdacverify dot com dot ng. Maybe you can check it out.