The new Open-Call application from Digital Catapult is designed to accelerate the development of early-stage businesses developing innovative and commercially focused digital solutions, creating sustainable supply chains and enabling a circular economy.
Up to 20 applicants will be selected, each gaining access to bespoke business and investment mentorship, knowledge sharing through collaborative workshops and support to pitch their ideas directly to industry and investors confidently.
See also European Innovation Council Accelerator Fund.
Background Of The Open–Call Applications
In this Open-Call, Digital Catapult is looking for early-stage digital technology companies to address the challenges of creating an industrial net zero future, especially startups working in the following two areas:
- Sustainable supply chain: Eight supply chains account for more than 50% of global emissions; food, construction, fashion, fast-moving consumer goods, electronics, automotive, professional services and freight. Decarbonising a supply chain is incredibly difficult; even leading companies struggle to acquire the data they need to set clear targets and standards to which their suppliers must adhere. Engaging an often-fragmented supplier landscape is challenging – especially when emissions are “buried” deep in the supply chain, or when addressing them might require collective action at the industry level. Finding data-driven approaches to supply chain management and optimisation are crucial to delivering sustainable products and services.
- Zero waste and circular economy: Zero waste is possible by designing and utilising products for reuse, remanufacturing and recycling and digital technologies can boost this transformation to enable a more sustainable circular economy. The application of advanced digital technologies can help to close the material loops by providing accurate information on the availability, location and condition of products. Digitalisation also enables more efficient processes in companies, helps minimise waste, promotes longer life for products and minimises the transaction costs.
See also D Prize Challenge Support for New Entrepreneurs
Eligibility For The Open-Call Applications
This Open-Call will be most valuable for:
Early-stage startups developing innovative and commercially focused digital solutions to accelerate the transformation of UK industry to net zero, in one of the following investment phases:
- Pre-seed startup with a minimum viable product (MVP) in the pipeline.
- Pre-seed startup with an MVP and demonstrated early traction.
- Seed startup with a developed product and demonstrated early traction.
- Companies that use one or more technologies from the advanced digital technology stack such as artificial intelligence, immersive (VR, AR and XR), internet of things, distributed ledger technologies and 5G.
- Companies developing solutions in one of the following industries:
- Sustainable supply chains: sustainable supply chain management and optimisation in areas like food, construction, fashion, fast-moving consumer goods, electronics and automotive.
- Circular economy: digitalisation applied on reuse, recycling, remanufacturing and zero waste.
What You Stand To Gain From The Open-Call Application For Start-Ups
This 12-week opportunity is designed for early-stage startups looking to improve product-market fit, develop critical business skills, and get investment-ready. Through a series of weekly workshops and one-to-one meetings designed to meet their specific needs, companies will benefit from developing their product, business strategy, communications skills and investor readiness.
A wide range of industry and technology experts, mentors and delivery partners, experts from the industry and the investment ecosystem will support the startups throughout their journey with Digital Catapult.
Successful applicants will also have the chance to benefit from networking sessions, peer-to-peer knowledge sharing and have access to other opportunities offered by Digital Catapult.
Apply on or before 31st October 2021.
To apply, each applicant will need to register their interest using the form below.
- Applicants will receive a follow-up email with a link to the application form through Submittable and Digital Catapult’s Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Survey.
- Whilst the completion of this Survey is mandatory, please note that your responses to this survey will be kept separately from your application and will have no effect whatsoever on your application to the programme. Completion of the survey is mandatory, however applicants will have the option of “prefer not to say” in each question.
- Each applicant team will need to complete the application form by BST 23:59 on 31 October 2021 to be considered for the open call.
- Digital Catapult will respond to the applicants by 19 November 2021.
Click here to apply.
Want to start a business and do not know how to start? Visit our resource centre to get our business guides to help you start, market and grow a sustainable business.