The African Development Bank is calling for application for the First Fashionomics Africa Contest for African designers and fashion entrepreneurs. This program is open to entrants from across the African continent with innovations in the fashion industry.
Do you have sustainable design? Submit your application now and win up to $2,000 and other prizes.
See Also: FG/CAC Free Business Names Registration For 250,000 MSMEs In Nigeria
About The Fashionomics Africa Contest
The Fashionomics Africa Contest is a challenge prize run by the African Development Bank. This is done in collaboration with the United Nations Environment Programme, Parsons School of Design, and Ellen MacArthur Foundation’s Make Fashion Circular initiative, across the Continent.
Basically, environmentally friendly measures, sustainability, and circular economy actions applied to fashion are the focus of Fashionomics Africa’s first online contest.
Currently, on the continent and worldwide, the linear take-make-dispose model, characterized by rapid and endless consumption is giving way to a more circular and inclusive fashion value chain.
Hence, this year’s competition is looking for African fashion brands that will change the ways we produce, buy, use, and recycle fashion. Also, it is looking for brands that will encourage a more sustainable change in consumer behavior – as well as to raise further awareness around the topic itself.
See Also: AWS Africa Startup Connect For Women Founded And Women-Led Startups In Africa
To apply, you must meet the following criteria;
- You are an African designer over 18 years old living in Africa with proof of age available on request.
- You must have launched a fashion business and operate in the textile (fabric making), apparel (clothing), or accessories industry.
- Recently launched business (with a maximum of 50 employees) with proof of business registration available on request.
See Also: 2021 Nigerian Drone Business Competition For Young Nigerian Entrepreneurs
Fashionomics Africa Contest Awards
If you emerge as a winner in this contest, you will have the opportunity to win:
- A financial reward of USD 2,000 for the best sustainable and innovative design;
- A Fashionomics Africa certificate;
- Access to a network of media insiders and industry experts;
- Possibility to take part in online events and share insights on key sustainability challenges facing the industry;
- The publication of your story and 400-word blog on the African Development Bank’s website and Fashionomics Africa platform;
- Possibility to attend a Fashionomics Africa webinar as a panelist;
- Also, access to mentoring and networking opportunities via:
Parsons School of Design:
- 2 Individual project development mentoring sessions with Parsons School of Design Undergraduate co-Director for Fashion Design, Brendan McCarthy;
- 1 group critique session to support project development with Parsons School of Design faculty members.
Ellen MacArthur Foundation’s Make Fashion Circular initiative:
- Benefit from Ellen MacArthur Foundation’s Make Fashion Circular initiative network support;
- Take part in one of the Foundation’s live online events to present on the brand and project.
See Also: McKinsey 2021 Women’s Global Operations Summit For Women Leaders
United Nations Environment Programme:
Visibility and networking support:
- Present the brand’s sustainability journey at an online event organized by UNEP, with participation of African and international companies, technical organizations, fashion institutes, etc.;
- Participate in a live event dedicated to Sustainable Fashion during the fifth United Nations Environment Assembly (in 2022);
- Be featured under the UNEP Sustainable Fashion Communication Campaign to be launched next year and benefit from UNEP social media support
Capacity building support:
- Gain one exclusive seat to participate in a UNEP online training programme on eco-innovation and life cycle approaches;
- Get the opportunity to dialogue with some of UNEP’s Goodwill Ambassadors.
Your application can be submitted by completing the online registration form. The information to provide will include:
- Personal information
- Business information
- Write-up (max. 2000 words) to:
- Present the brand’s sustainable business model (from the materials used, to the production and end-life of the product);
- Present the brand’s supply and distribution channels, social engagement and justice, labor practices (i.e. social status of employees), and additional eco-friendly measures. How does the brand demonstrate consideration for the people who are part of the design/development/production systems and how does the brand ensure that the products have an impact on people and communities?
- Explain what makes the brands’ flagship products environmentally friendly and innovative;
- Explain how the brand defines sustainability and how the brand measures its impact on products;
- Also, explain why your brand choose to engage in a specific area of sustainable production? Explain the motivation behind this choice;
- Explain how you intend to allocate and spend the funds, should you win the competition.
See Also: NDES/Foresight Seeds Fund Accelerator Program For Purpose-Driven Female Startup Founders
- Pictures of the product(s) proposed in different angles (at least front and back views) – maximum 5 products.
The following information will be required for each product submitted:
- The materials used;
- The design process;
- Production techniques;
- Methods put into place to reduce the carbon footprint (if any);
- Information on the life of the product: durability and measures taken to extend the product’s lifetime.
- Also, other attachments include; 1 page visual/textual summary of the brand, look book, press book, and any other relevant document.
Your application must be submitted either in English or French.
See Also: Nourishing Africa 2021 Entrepreneur Support Program For Young Nigerian Entrepreneurs
- Submission of proposals: December 11 – December 31, 2020
- Announcement of the finalists by the jury: 25 January 2021
- Public vote: January 25 – February 8, 2021
- Announcement of the winner: February 15, 2021
Please Note: Failure to comply with registration requirements will lead to rejection of the application.
See Also: The 2021 Green Institute Internship For Young Leaders Worldwide (Win $1000 Grant)
The deadline for application for the Fashionomics Africa Contest is 31 December 2020 at 23:59 GMT. Are you a designer with sustainable designs? Submit your proposal now using this link; https://fashionomicsafrica.org/contest-2020
Let’s create visibility for your brand today and put your business on the world map. Contact us today to make your brand the preferred choice among our audience of entrepreneurs and business leaders.
To keep track of our activities, follow us on Instagram.