The United Nations World Tourism Organisation (UNWTO) is calling for application for the SDGs Global Startup Competition. This is the World’s largest call to reach the most disruptive startups that directly contribute to accelerating the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
About The SDGs Global Startup compeitition
The startup competition is led by the World Tourism Organization (UNWTO), the UN agency responsible for promoting sustainable, accessible, and inclusive tourism. It aims to encourage the global innovation and entrepreneurship ecosystem to embrace sustainability and deliver impact during the United Nations Decade of Action starting this year.
While bringing together stakeholders from a variety of sectors across the economy, the initiative sets out to reach a common goal, to set innovation at the forefront of sustainable development in corporations and destinations.
Basically, the worldwide COVID-19 outbreak has brought the world to a standstill, and both; civil society and the private sector have been severely affected. Consequently, the pandemic jeopardizes all of the progress achieved thus far in terms of sustainability.
Given the sector’s capacity to create jobs and increase inclusiveness, UNWTO calls for a transversal, cross-sector approach to boost sustainable development all over the world.
Tourism is a major leader in the global economy and is at the centre of the most disruptive innovation. Due to its active work with startups, the sector has reached safe and experiential traveling as never before. Now, it is time to bolster this joint effort with entrepreneurs to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals through new ways of tackling global challenges.
Who Can Apply?
Startups from all walks of life, all over the world and all economic sectors can participate if they meet the following criteria:
- Are innovative in nature providing value-added solutions
- Are sustainability-driven
- Scalability: have the potential for international growth and potential to be applied in corporations and destinations (countries, regions)
- Be an Early Stage or Series A startup
- Have a tested pilot and business plan
- Been accelerated before
- Have a full-time team
The competition features 17 categories, each one representing a Sustainable Development Goal.
As a participating startup, you should select the SDG which can generate the greatest impact.
Evaluation Criteria For The SDGs Global Startups Competition
As a participating startup, you will be assessed according to your;
- Contribution to the Sustainable Development Goals
- Ease of value capture via collaboration with the startup
- Potential business impact
- Maturity of the product/technology
- Maturity of the team and the organization
- Partnership readiness
Benefits for winning startups includes but are not limited to:
- Pitch at a UNWTO Demo Day
- Curated mentorship programme including one-on-one and in-group sessions focused on Intellectual Property (IP), sustainability, business and leadership
- Access to technological support
- Connection to the UNWTO Innovation Network
- Potential pilot project with private-sector collaborators and institutions
How To Apply For The SDGs Global Startup Competition
Get ready for your application:
- Firstly, keep in mind the category or Sustainable Development Goal you will apply for.
- Read the Terms and Conditions of the Competition
- Make an attractive pitch deck in English (no more than 15 slides)
- List your web page, social media users and contact information
- And as soon as you have all of these ready, fill out the Application form in English
The deadline for application for the SDGs Global Startup Competition is 20, September 2020. If you are willing to participate in the competition, this is for you. Apply using this link https://www.unwto.org/unwto-sustainable-development-goals-global-startup-competition
Let’s create visibility for your brand today and put your business on the world map. Contact us today to make your brand the preferred choice among our audience of entrepreneurs and business leaders.
To keep track of our activities, follow us on Instagram.