Wande Coal is an award-winning Nigerian singer and songwriter, whose song genre is in the R&B, and Afro-pop category. He is also the CEO of Black Diamond Record Label.
Wande Coal Background
Wande Coal’s birth name is Wande Oluwatobi Ojosipe. He was born on the 18th of October 1985 in Lagos Island, Lagos, Nigeria, to Chief Ibukun Olufunto and Mrs Omolara Oluwayemisi Ojosipe, as the first of two children.
Wande Coal attended Federal Staff Nursery and Primary School, Ijanikin, Lagos. Afterwards, he went to Federal Government College, Ijanikin, Lagos, where his mother was a Home Economics teacher, for his secondary education.
After secondary school, Wande went on to the University of Lagos, Akoka (UNILAG) for his undergraduate studies, where he eventually graduated with a BSc in Curriculum studies.
Wande Coal Early Career
He started singing with his church teenage choir, and later joined the adult choir, and eventually the mass choir. Wande Coal met D’Banj and Don Jazzy for the first time when they came for a concert at Unilag. Following their meeting, Wande Coal became one of D’Banj’s dancers, and afterwards a backup singer, before he eventually became a music artist.
Wande Coal Music Career
He started music in 2005, and Don Jazzy’s Mo’ Hits Records signed him in 2006. Being a member of Mo’Hits record automatically qualified him as a member of Mo’ Hits Allstars, so, he was one of the artists that contributed to the successful release of the CV (Curriculum Vitae) album.
Wande Coal’s first single – Ololufe was from the CV album. Ololufe has been described as one of the greatest love songs ever written by a Nigerian. Later, Wande Coal released his debut album titled Mushin To Mo’Hits which was widely received across Nigeria, UK and the USA.
Wande Coal has been featured by several Nigerian artistes including, Ikechukwu, Naeto C, Dr SID, D’Prince, Wizkid, etc.
A fallout between the executives of Mo’Hits made Wande Coal and some other artiste leave the label and sign with Don Jazzy’s new record label – Mavin Records. Wande Coal left Mavin Records in 2013, and also released a single called Baby Face same year.
After a long break from the music scene, Wande Coal released his sophomore album Wanted. Most reviews of Wanted were slightly above average.
Wande Coal released another single Turkey Nla in December 2017, and So Mi So in 2018. Wande Cole is currently under his independent record label – Black Diamond Records.
See Also: Biography, net worth of Duncan mighty
Wande Coal’s Studio Albums
- Mushin To Mo’Hits – 2009
- Wanted – 2015
Wande Coal’s Compilation Albums
- Curriculum Vitae – 2007
- Solar Plexus – 2012
Wande Coal’s Singles
- Bumper2Bumper produced by Don Jazzy in the album Mushin 2 Mo’Hits – 2008
- You Bad produced by Don Jazzy in the album Mushin 2 Mo’Hits – 2008
- Taboo (Featuring D’Banj) produced by Don Jazzy in the album Mushin 2 Mo’Hits – 2008
- Who Born The Maga (Featuring KaySwitch) produced by Don Jazzy in the album Mushin to Mo’Hits – 2008
- Go Low produced by Don Jazzy – 2011
- Been Long You Saw Me (Featuring Don Jazzy) produced by Don Jazzy – 2011
- Private Trips produced byJay Sleek – 2011
- See Mi Ri in the album Solar Plexus – 2012
- Forever in the album Solar Plexus – 2012
- Pretty Girls in the album Solar Plexus – 2012
- The Kick (Featuring Don Jazzy) produced by Don Jazzy – 2013
- Rotate produced by Don Jazzy – 2013
- Baby Face – 2013
- My Way produced by Maleek Berry in the album Wanted – 2014
- Baby Hello – 2014
- Ashimapeyin produced by Sarz on the album Wanted – 2015
- Same Shit (Featuring AKA) produced by Da Beat Freakz in the album Wanted – 2015
- Iskaba (Featuring Dj Tunez) produced by Spellz – 2017
- Ballerz produced by Maleek Berry – 2017
- Oh No No produced by CheekyChizzy – 2017
- Funkeh produced by Killertunes – 2017
- Turkey Nla produced by Spellz – 2017
- So Mi So produced by Juls – 2018
Wande Coal Featured In
- For You with P-Lola
- Like Yo with Ikechukwu
- Ashawo with Naeto C
- One For Me with Naeto C
- For Me with Wizkid
- Kiss Your Hand with R2Bees
- Celebrate with D’banj
- Ooze with D’Prince
- I Like What I See with D’Prince
- My Woman with Patoranking
- Kosowo with Shizzi
- Way with Falz
- Zamo Zamo with Phyno
Wande Cole’s Videos
- Rotate directed by Sesan – 2013
- The Kick directed by Sesan – 2013
- My Way directed by Sesan – 2014
- Baby Hello directed by Sesan – 2014
- Ashimapeyin directed by Unlimited L.A – 2015
- Same Shit featuring AKA directed by Studio Space Pictures (SSP) – 2015
- Iskaba featuring DJ Tunez directed by Sesan – 2017
- Turkey Nla directed by Unlimited L.A – 2018
Awards And Nominations Of Wande Coal
- Next Rated at Hip Hop World Awards – 2008
- Naija’s fastest Rising Superstar at UNIPORT Awards – 2008
- Song of the Year at the Dynamix Youth awards – 2009
- City People named him as the Best rhythm and blues singer of the year – 2009
- Best Afro Hip Hop Video at the Nigerian Music Video Awards (NMVA) – 2009
- African Artiste of the Year at the Ghana Music Awards – 2010
- Artiste of the Year at the Hip Hop World Awards – 2010
- Best R&B/Pop Single at the Hip Hop World Awards – 2010
- Album of the year at the Hip Hop World Awards – 2010
- Song of the Year at the Hip Hop World Awards – 2010
- Hip Hop Revelation of the Year at the Hip Hop World Awards – 2010
- City People Album of the year – 2010
- Outstanding Performance in the music industry by City People – 2010
- City People named him Artist of year – 2010
- Wanted was nominated for Best R&B pop album at The Headies – 2016
- Nominated for Best Pop Single at The Headies – 2018
- Viewer’s choice nominee at the Sound City MVP Awards – 2019
Quotes Of Wande Coal
“Because everybody talks don’t mean you should talk…”
“No be everybody wey go school lo mo way!!”
“I learn from my mistakes, and make sure I become a better person…”
“Everything in life teaches you a lesson, you don’t let your guards off.”
“In the game, there is going to be friction at some point, people have to understand that music is competitive.”
Net Worth Of Wande Coal
According to wealthresult.com, Wande Coal is worth $1.7million.
Life Lessons From Wande Coal
- Do not give up, be strong enough to withstand, and overcome any obstacle facing your business.
- Be aware of who you are, and you would do exploits.
Image Credit: @wandecoal (Twitter and Instagram)